Copyright 2023 by Forsyth County, Georgia

Department of Water & Sewer

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for water service?

To apply for water/sewer service, please complete the New Service Request Form.  You will need to attach a copy or photo of 1) your driver’s license and 2) a signed lease or purchase agreement to the form.  Please make sure these are available on the device you are using.  Please do not submit the application prior to two weeks before the service start date. 

At least thirty (30) minutes after the form has been submitted, please contact our office at 770-781-2160 to speak with a customer service representative, schedule your connection date, and pay your deposit and any other fees with a Visa or MasterCard. 

Connections are made Monday through Friday only. 

How do I cancel my water services?

You must contact our office to cancel your service.  Please call 770-781-2160.

What documents are acceptable forms of identification to establish new service?

Driver's License, signed Rental/Lease Agreement, signed Purchase Agreement

What options are available for paying my water bill?

In an ongoing effort to improve bill payment efficiency, the Forsyth County Department of Water and Sewer offers multiple ways to pay your bill. 

  • You may deliver your payment in person to 110 E. Main Street, Suite 150, Cumming, GA. 
  • Mail in your payment to: PO Box 100003, Cumming, GA 30028 
  • Utilize the night drop box located between the Administration Building and the parking deck 
  • Sign up for Auto Pay or schedule a recurring payment 
  • Utilize our One-Time Pay option 

Who do I contact regarding questions about my bill?

Ronnie Grizzle - (770) 781-2160; or (678) 455-8477 Direct Line 

(770) 781-3044 Fax 

Department Hours: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM, Monday - Friday 

Customer Service Contact: (770) 781-2160 

The Forsyth County Department of Water and Sewer Customer Service Division provides accurate water and sewer billing, meter services, and collections in a courteous, professional, and prompt manner. 

Do you offer a Senior Citizen Discount?

Senior Discount available to customers 62+ years old.  Proof of date of birth required.

If I incur a leak, how do I apply for an adjustment?

The Forsyth County Department of Water and Sewer understands that our customers may sometimes experience a high water/sewer bill due to a water leak on the customer side of the water meter.  On May 15, 2014, the Board of Commissioners approved a resolution to govern the circumstances under which Water Leak Billing Adjustments may be provided. 

Please review the Water Leak Adjustment Policy to determine if you qualify for a leak adjustment. 

Who should I contact for an after hours water/sewer emergency?

To report a water or sewer related emergency (such as low water pressure, a water outage, a broken water main, or sanitary sewer overflow) outside of business hours or on weekends/holidays, call (770) 781-2160.  Operators from an after-hours answering service will take the information and dispatch it accordingly. 

What are the current outdoor water use restrictions?

Forsyth County is currently in a Non-Drought Response Level.  This level allows all types of water use each day of the week, but landscape watering only before 10 AM or after 4 PM (to limit evaporation during the warmest part of the day). 

For additional information on outdoor water use during a Non-Drought Response Level:

Current Outdoor Water Use Restrictions

How do I find out what is in my drinking water?

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires community water systems to deliver an annual Consumer Confidence Report (CCR), also known as a Water Quality Report, that provides citizens information about their local drinking water quality.  The Forsyth County Department of Water and Sewer is proud to supply clean, safe, and reliable drinking water for all of its customers.  In 2021 (the year the 2022 Water Quality Report covers), the drinking water supplied to you met all EPA and state drinking water health standards.  The Water Quality Report details where your water comes from, what it contains, and how it compares to standards set by the regulatory agencies. 

Water Quality Reports

What is the policy/petition procedure to have Forsyth County water service extended to an area without current Water and Sewer Department service?

Waterline Extension Policy/Petition

Property that is within the Forsyth County Water and Sewer service boundary, and is not currently served by the department, may be eligible to petition to have Forsyth County water service added. 

To determine if a property is within the County’s water service area, please click here. 

The below Waterline Extension Policy establishes the parameters for addressing ad hoc petitions for waterline extensions that are not specified in the Forsyth County Department of Water and Sewer capital improvement plan. A petition for service is also found in the link below. 

  Waterline Extension Policy/Petition

Petitions for county water should be submitted to the Director, Forsyth County Department of Water and Sewer, 110 East Main Street, Suite 150, Cumming, GA  30040.

All petitions for waterline extension will be evaluated on an annual basis. Exceptions may be granted based on special circumstances as determined by the Forsyth County Department of Water and Sewer and approved by the Forsyth County Board of Commissioners. The Forsyth County Department of Water and Sewer will review each petition to estimate the cost and financial viability of the proposed waterline extension. A recommendation to approve or deny each petition will be made to the Board of Commissioners annually based on the business case and priority of the petition. Full details, including the criteria for petition prioritization, can be found in the waterline extension policy. The new waterline extension policy was approved by the Forsyth County Board of Commissioners during their May 6, 2021 meeting. 

About Water & Sewer

Our mission is to provide Forsyth County with the highest quality of water and sewer service through progressive leadership and environmental stewardship.


Phone: (770) 781-2160
Fax: (770) 781-2163



Forsyth County Department of Water and Sewer

110 E. Main St.,
Suite 150
Cumming, GA 30040