Copyright 2024 by Forsyth County, Georgia

Business License Department

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if my business is allowed at a certain location?

To verify that your business is permitted at a specific location, please visit the CSS Portal to complete the Business Location Verification Process. Instructions are available on the Business License webpage. Additional permits or review may be required before the business license may be issued.

What is the process if my business is moving?

A Business Location Verification Decision Letter is required to determine the business is permitted at the new location, along with a completed location change application and a $50 administrative fee. Please visit the CSS Portal to begin the verification process. 

Why does my business license have a status of "Requires Resubmit"?

If further documentation is required, you will receive an email to let you know there are missing items for your renewal/application. You may also view this information on your CSS Portal account. 

How can I look up a business to see if they have a license?

Please visit our CSS portal to look up a business in Forsyth County. Click the "Search Public Records" tile and enter a keyword or business address in the search bar.

How do I know what my business location is zoned?

You may check zoning of any property by using the GIS Viewer.  Please click here for property information tools.

What is the difference between a residential vs. commercial business license?

A residential business is a business that is operated from your home, an applicant must adhere to the rules of the professional home office (rules located in Occupational Tax Ordinance or Unified Development Code). A commercial business is a business that is operated in at a commercially zoned address in unincorporated Forsyth County.

Where do I file a complaint about a business?

The Code Compliance Department handles complaints regarding businesses located in unincorporated Forsyth County, 678-513-5893.

About the Business License Department

The Business License Department is here to provide information and guidance in acquiring a license. The department can assist customers with Business licensing, Alcohol licensing, Alcohol permitting, Door to Door Solicitation permits, Pawnbroker and Pawn Shop licensing, Short Term Rental licensing, and Non-Traditional Tobacco / Vape E-Cigarette licensing.

County Ordinances

To start a business in Forsyth County, you will need to obtain a Business Tax Certificate (business license). Additional permits or licenses may be required, depending on the type of business you plan to operate and/or the business location.

Before applying, each business must obtain a Business Location Verification Decision Letter, to ensure your business location is in the proper zoning for your type of business. Click here to begin the verification process.

Business License Renewal period begins December 1, 2023, through March 31, 2024. 


Business License Department

110 E. Main St.,
Suite 130
Cumming, GA 30040

(678) 455-9888 


Join by April 27 and Win $200 in Programs and Services

This is a simple hero unit, a simple call-to-action-style component for calling extra attention to featured content.