There are different applications required by the County for various types of permits. These forms are available for download in PDF format for your convenience. To complete the application, click on the first field and type in your information. Use the tab key to move to the next field. Use mouse clicks to select or deselect the check boxes. Please see our PDF guide for information to help you save forms. For your convenience you may use the Bank Transaction Form to pay permit fees, reinspect fees, etc.



Building Permits


New Residential Building Permit - to request a building permit for a new home.

Will also need Residential Architectural Facades/elevations for single family homes


Residential Additions - to request a building permit for an addition to an existing house.

Residential Renovations - to request a building permit for an interior renovation to an existing house.

Basement Finish - to request a building permit to finish out an unfinished basement for human comfort.

Accessory Buildings - to request a building permit for an accessory structure detached from the residents garages, pool houses, etc.

Residential Townhome - to request a building permit for one and two family attached housing. These require a plan review prior to receiving a permit.

Manufactured Home - to request a building permit to locate a mobile home on a parcel of property

Swimming Pool - to request a building permit for in-ground, above-ground or on-ground swimming pool, hot tub or spa

Deck - to request a building permit for the installation or structural repair reguardless of height of a deck. This permit is also used for outdoor fireplace.




If you are on a septic system you will need approval by the Forsyth County Environmental Health Department before issuance of a building permit

  • You may apply online to the Environmental Health Department

  • If you are adding a structure to the property such as patios, decks, detached garages, storage buildings, porches etc. You must submit a site plan showing the location of the proposed structure, your existing home and all other existing structures.

  • If you are remodeling the existing home you must document the number of bedrooms in the home by submitting to the Environmental Health Department a complete floor plan of the home as proposed.


Specialty Permits

Electrical - to request an electrical only permit; power reconnects, addition of electrical circuits, etc.

Plumbing - to request a plumbing only permit; water heater replacement, addition of fixtures with piping alterations, etc.

Mechanical - to request a mechanical only permit; Furnace replacement, A/C replacement, etc.

Irrigation (Lawn sprinklers) - to request a permit to install irrigation

Residential Fence- to request a permit to install a fence

Residential Retaining Wall- to request a permit to install a retaining wall


Affidavit's and other misc documents


Contact Us

 Address: 110 East Main Street
Suite 100
Cumming, GA 30040
 Phone: 770-781-2115
 Fax: 770-781-2197
 Email: Contact Us

Our Mission

Our department's mission is to develop partnerships with all members of the community in an effort to provide valuable planning and development services that promote quality development and help create communities that will be enjoyed for generations to come.