Winter Weather Heating Safety Tips from Forsyth Fire January 6, 2016 Fire Department, Photo Fire Department, Safety Tips Help keep you and your family safe during cold weather with these safety tips from the Forsyth County Fire Department. Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional. Follow manufacturers’ recommendations regarding where and how to use any heating devices. Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like a furnace, fireplace, wood stove or portable space heater. Never place heaters on tables or furniture. Avoid using extension cords for heaters if possible. Do not use unvented gas heaters in enclosed spaces due to the potential for carbon monoxide poisoning. Remember to turn portable space heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed. Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Put ashes in a metal container with a lid, outside, at least three feet from your home. Have working smoke alarms on every level of your home and near each bedroom. Have working carbon monoxide alarms on every level of your home. In case of emergency, dial 911.