SAWNEE MOUNTAIN PRESERVE
Visitor Center and Parking
4075 Spot Rd
Cumming, GA 30040
Tribble Gap Parking
2500 Bettis-Tribble Gap Rd
Cumming, GA 30040
Visitor Center Hours:
Monday - Saturday, 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Hours are subject to change.
Trail and Parking Gate Hours:
Open daylight hours only
For information, please contact the Visitor Center at:
Matthew Pate - Outdoor Division Manager
Carrie Toth - Program Supervisor
Joseph Daugherty - Program Coordinator
Visitor Center at 4075 Spot Road (Phase II): Parking Lot, Hiking Trails, Interpretive Exhibits, Resource Library/Lounge, Classroom and Laboratory, Rocking Chair Porch, Native Plant Garden and Water Feature, Tree House, Tree Canopy Walk and Restroom Facilities.
Park Entrance at 2500 Bettis-Tribble Gap Road (Phase I): Parking Lot, Hiking Trails, Playground, Picnic Pavilions, Restroom Facilities, and Amphitheater.
Sawnee Mountain Preserve offers unique recreational and educational opportunities to the public. Instructional classes in adventure recreation such as rock climbing, rappelling, and backpacking as well as environmental education programs in birding, botany and natural awareness are just some of the activities the Outdoor Division offered on the Mountain. School and scout group programming is also available. Look for special events and musical or theater performances at the Amphitheater year round.
The Visitor Center is also the administrative home to the Outdoor Division of the Parks and Recreation Department. If you have questions about programming, development or volunteer opportunities please call the number listed above.
Climbing permits are available. The permit will be good for a 10 day period. Only a maximum of 10 permits will issued per 10 day period. Permits are issued per person. Please note the processing fee for a permit will is $3. Release form and route info is located in top right corner. Additional questions may be directed to Matthew Pate at the number above.
The new Sawnee Mountain Preserve Visitor Center was awarded "Outstanding New Development for 2008 by the Georgia Urban Forestry Council. This is not the Preserve's first award from GUFC - the Sawnee Mountain Preserve was awarded "Most Outstanding GreenSpace Plan" for 2005.
The Preserve is comprised of over 963 acres, all which has been acquired through SPLOST and Green Space Funding. Currently there are 3.5 miles of hiking trails opened to the public. In the next few years trail connections will be made to the summit and over 10 miles of trails will be available for use. Folks interested in working on trail crews should call the numbers listed above.
For further information please visit the Sawnee Mountain website or the Outdoor Division page.
PARK RULES AND REGULATIONS:
- Speed Limit is 10 mph.
- No parking in Driveways. Parking only in designated areas.
- No pets allowed in park.
- Loud Music is prohibited.
- Climbing and Rappelling is prohibited without a permit. Permits must be obtained at the Visitor Center. Please call Matthew Pate at 770-781-2217 Mon-Fri 8:30-5:00 for more information. Fines for climbing w/o permit could exceed $200.
- Trails are for foot traffic only.
- No alcoholic beverages are allowed anywhere on the property.
- Leave no trace.
- No hunting is allowed.
- Fires, including grills and/or campfires are not allowed anywhere on the mountain.
- No Littering – please carry out everything you carry on the trail system.
- No Soliciting.
- Camping is not permitted anywhere on the Mountain.
- Removal or damage to trees, shrubs or plants is prohibited.
- An adult must accompany all minors under 18.
- Pavilions are on a first come first served basis unless reservation is posted. For more information, please call 770.781.2217, Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.