Top Headlines
  Dept Headlines

  Code Enforcement

  • About Us
  • Code Enforcement Process
  • Common Code Violations
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Related Agencies
  • Reporting Violations
  • Speakers Bureau
  • Staff Listing
  • Uniform County Codes
  • Why Code Enforcement is Important
  • File a Complaint Online


    Q. Can Additions to houses be built without a permit?

    A. No. Structures must meet Standard Building Codes. Contact the Planning and Development Department at 770.781.2114 for permit information.

    Q. Am I required to put structure numbers on my residence or business?

    A. Yes. Forsyth County code requires structure numbers to be visible from the roadway. Structure numbering can be accomplished by placing your correct numerical address on your structure, mailbox or a post if your mailbox is not adjacent to your driveway.

    Q. My neighbor’s dog barks at all hours both day and night. Is there anything Code Enforcement can do? 

    A. Animal complaints including barking dogs are handled by the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office Animal Control Division. They can be reached at 770.781.2138.

    Q. A street in my neighborhood is becoming a dumpsite, where people continually dump all sorts or trash and debris. Is there anything I can do?

    A. Yes. Contact the Code Enforcement office by phone or by using our online complaint form providing a detailed location and description of the violation, and a Code Enforcement officer will investigate. Not only is dumping a code violation, it also lessens property values and creates health hazards.

    Q. They are building a new subdivision behind my house and are working on Sunday. Is this allowed?

    A. Outside construction is only allowed between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday. No outside construction activity is allowed on Sunday. 

    Q. Will Code Enforcement drive through my neighborhood and address all the “code violations” they see at all the properties?

    A. Yes. The Code Enforcement Department is proactive and patrols the county on a daily basis. If we have not been in your neighborhood for a period of time or you notice possible code violations, contact the Code Enforcement office and we will address the issue.

    Q. My neighbor has a few junk cars on their property. Is this legal?

    A. No. Inoperable, unlicensed vehicles are prohibited unless the property in question is zoned for the storing of junk vehicles.

    Q. Do I need a business license to operate my own business?

    A. Yes. Contact the Planning and Development Department Business License division at 770.781.2114 for business license information and requirements.

    Q. I am having a yard sale this weekend. Do I need a permit and can I put signs up to advertise the sale?

    A. You do not need a permit to conduct a yard sale. However, you may only place signs on your property where the sale is occurring or on other private properties with owner’s permission. No signs are allowed in any right-of-way or attached to telephone poles, trees or other existing signs. The best way to advertise a yard sale is your local paper or publication, not by littering the community in which you live with signs.










     No articles available

     No articles available

     No articles available

     Terms of Use


    875 Lanier 400 Parkway Ste#102
    Cumming, GA
    FORSYTH COUNTY GOVERNMENTPhone: 678-513-5893
    Fax: 770-781-4290